The AG Chair is responsible for planning and executing American Mensa's annual convention, with an expected attendance of 1,700-2,200 people. The Chair leads a committee that plans and oversees registration, hospitality, programming, games, and tournaments for the attendees.
The AG Chair is appointed by the American Mensa Committee (AMC).
Experience/Training needed (requires three out of four items listed within the last four years)
- Annual Gathering Committee experience
- Local Secretary or National Committee Chair experience
- Regional Gathering Chair or Mind Games Chair experience
- Other significant volunteer or leadership experience
- Ability to develop and work with a strong volunteer committee.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with staff, the AMC, and Mensa Foundation on coordination of all aspects of the event.
- Ability to work within a budget.
- Comfortable with saying “No” when necessary.
- Willingness to put a unique spin on the event while understanding that minimum standards, contract obligations, and legal risks must all be taken into account.
- Serve on the committee of the previous year’s Annual Gathering
- Recruit AG committee to oversee:
- White Hats
- This list is not exhaustive and may need to be supplemented by other roles
- Recruit volunteers to serve at AG (in conjunction with the Volunteer Chair appointed to the AG committee).
- Report quarterly to Board of Directors once AG chair has been awarded, then monthly the six months prior to the AG.
- Work with the Meetings & Events Planner to develop meal options for Hospitality.
- Coordinate with staff and volunteers to execute on a cohesive event.
- Help promote the event among the membership to increase attendance.
- On-site coordination of the event.
- Submit final report to the AMC by the quarterly meeting following the event.
The Finance Committee will set registration rates prior to the close of the previous year’s AG, allowing for registration following that AG.
The National Office will take registrations and will provide a list of registrants on a regular basis to the committee, manage the treasury, and be responsible for local, regional, and national media coverage.
Time and space required
The position will require an extensive time commitment during the year prior to your AG. During this time you will need to check email regularly and consult with liaisons and National Office staff to coordinate program details as needed.
- Year leading up to event: 5-10 hours per week
- Six weeks prior to event: 12-18 hours per week
- At the event: on site 24/7 for 8 days
- Be available as much as possible on the opening days of registration and hotel reservations
A preliminary AG budget is drafted by the AG Chair and must be approved by the American Mensa Committee through the Finance and Audit Committee. Annual Gathering registration and meal plan for year of AG is complimentary to the Chair, as well as their hotel stay during the Annual Gathering.The same will be covered for the year prior when the AG Chair serves on the previous year’s committee.
Questions regarding this role can be sent to the Events Committee Chair